Thursday, January 26, 2017

Wild West & Wild Weather

I never expected to wake up in Southern Arizona and have temperature be 26 degrees.  Then I checked my weather app and the temperature in our hometown of Hudson, Wisconsin was 29 degrees.  Warmer than here!  



Had a hearty breakfast and then walked downtown passing this quaint window display.




Browsed through the gift stores and went to the re-enactment of the Gunfight at the OK Corral.  Here's the four law enforcers that participated, Wyatt Earp, Doc Holiday, Virgil Earp and Morgan Earp.  


After this show, we had lunch in a local saloon.  Here are some of the locals at the end of the bar.  There were certainly a lot of people in town dressed this way and I don't think they were all actors



We took a tour around town in a stagecoach and another mode of transportation was crossed off my "bucket list."




The gunfighters museum was full of information on the many gunfighters of the Wild West.  My cousin and I were discussing how much traveling these gunfighters did back in the 1800's ....on a horse.  Makes our cross country trips by cars going 65 miles an hour seem like a piece of cake!

The county courthouse, now a museum, highlighted that the first person to try mining in the Apache country was advised by the Army personnel that he was "seeking to find only his tombstone in that country."  He found silver and lived to name the town that grew out of the desert, Tombstone.  Also, at the courthouse were the gallows.  Yes, several people did end their lives here and then were buried in Boot Hill Cemetery.



All the walking around and learning about town, it made us thirsty, so we headed to a local establishment for a cold one.  I noticed that the doors were swinging doors like the Wild West bars and I got into the action.  

 


Nope, I did not fall out onto the street nor was I kicked out of the bar!

Speaking of streets, tonight after dinner we listed to karaoke and then walked home through the deserted and quiet streets of Tombstone....no longer the rambunctious and raucous Wild West of Arizona!

No comments: