Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Music to my Ears .....and Eyes!

Today, we toured the Musical Instruments Museum in Phoenix.  Wow!  I was not expecting to like it or be blown away by how impressive it was.  Paul said same thing!  I have always liked music; however only played a Piano Accordion as a child.  I now know the difference between a Piano Accordion and Button Accordion.  


This museum showed instruments from almost every country in the world.  Here's an old instrument from Africa.





These are gourds hanging down to create sounds.




This display was from South Africa. So many ways to make "music."





Noticed that many instruments seemed to have faces on them.  





Instruments made of recycled junk in a Paraguayan slum.






Even tortoise shells were used for instruments.





Fiddle made in Sweden from a clog shoe, always used the right shoe.  


Appalachian home made instruments.




My dad played the spoons, but he didn't have a handle for them.



Intricate carving on some of the instruments.


There was a "hands on" exhibition and Paul looks like a pro playing this.



Here I am, trying my hand at the Thumb Piano.


If you get to Phoenix, I highly recommend you visit this museum, even if you think you're not musically inclined.


No comments: