Friday, September 5, 2014

One?!?

Oh my!  I am back at it....reviewing photos from our trips.  What a chore!  What an honor! What a whole-bunch-of-photos I have! 

I know that any professional photographer will probably tell me to "take lots of photos......different lighting, different angles, etc."   However, upon reviewing three or more of the same scene with miniscule variations, I am beginning to wonder if I'm going crazy!  Look below and see what I mean!





 
How do I determine which of these is the "best" picture to keep?  It's so overwhelming at times, that I just shut-down and ignore the task.
 
During my travels this summer, I saw a photography exhibit showing the "People of the Great Plains."  I was very intrigued by the photos and eagerly bought the hard cover book that shows this exhibit plus the journals of the photographer.  Early on in the book he lists some quotes from various people he met and photographed. 
Brother Placid, Benedictine Monk, Richardton, North Dakota:  "Why do you take so many pictures?  It makes stress.  Just take one and you do not have to choose.  Make life easier."
Amen, brother!

Years ago, a photographer in Northern Minnesota did a-photo-a-day for a year and published them.  It was fascinating to read his thoughts on the one photo he took each day.  Some days, he would wait until dusk to take a photo, possibly passing up other great photo-ops.  That's exactly the mind set that photographers get into....if I don't take this photo several times...I may be passing up on a "best" photo. 

Oh, what to do?  Do I change my habits and take in the scene with my eyes and walk around for a bit before I take one or two photos?  Do I continue to take many photos of the same scene in case the lighting or clouds change? 

I think that right now, I am choosing to write this in my blog instead of getting back to refining and deleting many photos from my trips!  Some days, I will do anything to procrastinate a task. 


No comments: