Friday, September 12, 2014

National Park....my butt on couch....day!

Today, I got ambitious and decided I  had better start some de-cluttering activities again.  Last year upon retirement, I cleaned out the kitchen cabinets.  Regretfully, you can't see the progress as it's all behind drawers and doors.  But, I know it's done.

So, all though my bathroom cabinets need to be de-cluttered and cleaned, I opted to do an area more visible....my bookcase!  Of course, in so doing this, a person must review each book to decide if it's a "keeper" or not.  That involves setting one's butt on  the couch and doing this task.  I did get through about a dozen books when I found a "gem."

The book is "America's National Parks" and it was printed in 1957!  I think I found this last Christmas when I was at my mother's place and brought it back with me.  Most of the photos are black and white with an occasional colored photo.  Who would even think of taking a photo of our colorful parks in black and white today?  Just kidding, some do!

I decided to check out how many Parks I have been to and immediately found that NOT all the parks are in this book.  That means that a lot of national parks have been added in the past 57 years.  The book lists 28 parks in US and Virgin Islands, now there are 59 National Parks.  I have been to 20 of the 28 listed in this book and of the eight I have not been to half are in the Northwest US.  We will explore them next year.  Surprisingly or not surprisingly, the closest National Park to where I was born and raised (Isle Royale), I have not been there.  Not surprisingly, two of the eight unvisited parks are CAVES, not my favorite thing to do.

One of the parks listed (Platt) did not sound familiar, so I looked it up and found it was in essence abolished in 1976 and absorbed into Chickasaw National Recreational Area in Oklahoma. 

There are several national parks not listed in the book that we will be visiting next month on our next trip. But for sure I am going to put the national parks from this book that I have not been to on my Bucket List. 

OK, time to get off my butt and get back to reviewing more books to give away or keep. 

No comments: