Saturday, April 19, 2014

Forgiveness

Yesterday was Good Friday, a day we Christians remember the death of Jesus Christ on the cross.  His death and resurrection was a gift of forgiveness of our sins.  Jesus paid the ultimate price for us.

Forgiveness is not easy. 

As I pondered the Good Friday message, I realized that I need to give forgiveness to others.  It really hit me that there are four aspects to forgiveness.  First of all, I recognize and acknowledge that I need forgiveness for my "sins," including my omissions of trust, respect and love.  But the path to the point of giving forgiveness also means that secondly, I have to want forgiveness.  I think most people recognize that they need forgiveness.  Many people, including myself, acknowledge that need but are often unlikely to admit that we want forgiveness.  We may beat ourselves up because we are such sinful people to "need forgiveness."  That we turn away from the gift of forgiveness...."I don't want forgiveness!"  Let me sit in my pity pot and continue to exclaim what a sinful person I am.  Therefore, you can not love me!

Wanting is a desire.  If I desire forgiveness and then accept it, then I know that I will change.  Do I really want to change?  If I do need and want forgiveness, then the next step is accepting forgiveness.  Again, if I accept this gift, I will need to step out of my pity pot and change my actions.  Hmmm?

No matter what anyone says, if you accept a "gift" from anyone, you are connected with that person/being.  Independent Rayna being connected to anyone, what's my world coming to?  If I am able to follow through on this forgiveness journey, then I know that I will next be able to offer forgiveness to others.  Again, that will mean connecting with others. 

No comments: