Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Days, days and daze!

Apparently today was Start! Walking day.  I guess the "national organization of choosing what to celebrate today" decided that it's been three months since the New Year and all of our start-walking resolutions, so they made up a "day" to remind us.  This week is Patient Access week, where we honor and celebrate the registration and admissions staff at hospitals, of which I'm proud to be a "member."  Next week is Volunteer week, next month we have Hospital week and Nurse's day, etc, etc.  Those are the "days" that some may not have heard of unless they work in the healthcare setting.  But we've all heard of Bosses Day, Sweetest Day, Secretary's (now Administrative Professional) day which is the day before Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work day. I have a nickname for these type of days.... Hallmark holidays.... a way to sell more greeting cards.


Speaking of days, we look forward to certain days, whether they are national holidays or personal holidays.  Personal holidays like anniversaries, birthdays, start of vacation day and other events we consider major.   My "niece" likes to do a count-down of days until the events in her life.  She counts down to weekend camping trips, annual family cookie bake, and other fun things.  There are even count-down clock/calendars on the internet so a person does not have to manually count up the number of days.  I have been counting down the days until vacation and more importantly the number of days to retirement. 


Sometimes, I feel that I'm wishing the days would go by so fast that I miss out on the journey and adventure of each day.  As in starting to walk, I focus so much on being done with the walk or completing a mile, that I miss the beauty of the area I'm walking through or I miss the cool breezes on my face.   I seem to be so focused on dates and  times of the future, that I'm afraid that I will suddenly find myself old, with no recollection of how I got this old!  It's like my life is in a daze. 

No comments: