Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Shaken to the core!

Last week some activities of our sub-division neighbors was brought to our attention.  It shook us (hubby & me) up to the point of where we are still shaking our heads.  A woman and a man from two couples decided to inter-tangle with one another in an affair.  Now that happens everywhere and at anytime, but why is this shaking us to the core?


I have known people, even family members, that have had affairs with others and it's caused the break-up of marriages.  These didn't bother me as much, but this is the first time that I have known all four people involved. 


I have know people that have had affairs with others when they were younger and not married very long.  These didn't bother me as much, but this situation involves people over sixty years old and one couple has been married 42 years. 


I have know people that have hot and heavy sex lives when they were younger, but the libido wanes as a person ages.   This situation involves people over sixty years old having sex.  Does this give me hope or despair?  Despair in the fact that being over sixty does not guarantee that your spouse will stay faithful. 


Yes, I'm shaking my head in disbelief and despair.  It's tough "pill" to swallow seeing two couples lives change so dramatically.... divorce, selling homes, moving across the country, and most importantly, never having the kind of relationship and friendship that there was in the past.  Those changes are happening to the four and yet being a bystander to all this is not easy either.  What do I say?  What do I do?  Who do I believe? 

I do know that this situation has given a lot of us an opportunity to talk with our spouse and truly share our thoughts, feelings and fears.  As hubby says, "We're stuck with each other."  I'm glad and thankful!

No comments: