Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Stan the Man

There are times in our lives when we meet someone and our encounter with them may be brief, yet they so deeply touch our lives. 

Today, my family and I heard that Stan the Man has passed away.  What a guy!  What a blessing he was to our family.  Stan was another resident in the Continuing Care Center that my dad resided in for 3 months prior to his death.  He was 97 years old and quite spry!  He became my dad's biggest cheerleader, wheeling himself down to Dad's room and talking to him, sharing jokes with him  (and our family) and encouraging my dad to "get out of bed and come down to the dining room."  My dad had his ups and downs while there and often didn't want to or couldn't get out of bed.  All my family would try to talk him into getting up and encouraging him to take nourishment; most of the time in vain. But Stan the Man could seem to get my dad to get out of bed and eat.  So Dad would surprise Mom or one of my siblings when they came to visit by going down to the dining room to eat and visit with Stan. 

One minute we would swear Dad was having his last days, then he'd rally round and eat and get out of bed.  Those were days of ups and downs for our family.  In the midst of these ups and downs, Stan remained a constant friend.  His smile was contagious and jokes were amusing.  We all fell in love with him.  Even I, who only met him briefly while on a weekend visit up there, could see the charm and caring personality that Stan possessed. 

I am quite sure that Stan and my dad are up in Heaven, sharing a table and talking up a blue storm.  Better watch out for some stormy weather coming, as it's probably those two up there stirring up another wild story of their lives.  We will miss you Stan!  Miss you too, Dad!


No comments: