Tuesday, August 13, 2013

New beginnings!

August 13, 1985

After a couple of days of working with the Business Office staff, the CFO wanted to treat me to a night exploring the town.  BUT his wife was nine-and-a-half months pregnant, so he asked a guy in the Purchasing department if it was OK if he took me out-and-about New Orleans.  I said sure!  I had met Paul when he came to California to take care of inventory of the clinic supplies and what was being shipped back to Louisiana for the clinics there.  Paul seemed nice enough and I had no interest in a guy from New Orleans.... remember I was going to find myself a good ol' farm boy in Wisconsin! 

Paul, being ever frugal, broke and single-again, asked the CFO if he could use petty cash to treat me to dinner.  So out exploring we went... Uptown; Garden district; dinner at Copelands; Downtown; French Quarter; Jackson Square; Pat O'Briens; and a walk and long talk on the banks of the Mississippi.  I found him so easy to talk with and very pleasant.  We had a very good time!

We started writing, being friends, visiting each other....he came to St. Paul (where I lived and worked) in December.  What a brave soul!  Not only to brave January weather, but to meet my family too.  Things moved fast....too fast.  In February, our relationship crashed and burned.  In late summer we made up again and in October I visited him in Atlanta (where he had moved during the break-up).  I spent Thanksgiving with my family and moved to Atlanta that weekend.  I have moved across country a few times, so it was no biggie for me.  A new adventure..... in another state and in a relationship too! 

So it was that three years later on August 13, 1988, we married in Ringgold, Georgia. Now you know the rest of the story! 

No comments: