Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baby Steps

Repent is a word you read or hear about in church. One of the meanings of repent is "reverse the harmful effects of the wrong where possible." A month ago I wrote about my do-or-die feeling about my health. I'm now on medication to lower my glucose levels and a medication to resolve my acid reflux. I don't want to be on medications, in fact I want to get off most of them entirely. In the past month some changes have been made in my life.

Stop eating sweets - since I was taking by blood sugar daily, I figured that although sugar is not always the main culprit in high blood sugar, it probably does not help it. So I started to cut-down on sweets and then "gave it up" for the Lenten season. I have "discovered" fruit again and a tasty dessert is low-fat vanilla yogurt with raspberries.

Start chewing my food - one fork or spoonful at a time. With my acid reflux flare-up of a couple of weeks ago, I suddenly found myself unable to swallow without pain. In order to get some food into me, I started really chewing my food (over 20 times per mouthful) so that I could swallow more easily. I discovered that I tasted the food while doing this. I was able to savor the flavor of the food, something I don't think I really ever did when I would gulp down my food so fast. In chewing my food more, I found that I ate much slower, now hubby finishes way before me. What a complete turn-around! By chewing more, eating slower, I feel full or I get tired of chewing, so my portions have decreased tremendously.

At the hospital that I work at, we have a bariatric program and we perform lap-band, gastric sleeve and bypass surgery. A part of that program has a food program or diet. If you have these procedures, you can not survive or will have ill-effects, if you don't follow the above chewing process. Another aspect of the food program is to have a large glass of water 30 minutes before eating. Then you don't drink any liquids with your meal. At first it was tough not drinking any liquids with my meal, because I would drink at least one large glass of water or milk with every meal. Another complete turn-around!

I knew that I was a candidate for these bariatric programs because of my BMI (Body Mass Index) and my health problems, but I did not want to have surgery. I thought that since I would have eat and drink like this if I did have surgery, I might as well try it without surgery. I have been pleasantly surprised by the results. I taste food. I feel full faster. I love water (always have). I can live without sweets. I have lost 7.5% of my body weight since the beginning of 2010. The experts claim that even losing 10% of your body weight can have significant improvement in your body and your health. So, I'm excited!

To be truthful, I did not think or believe that I could do such a complete turn-around or "repent" - reverse the harmful effects of the wrong where possible. To be truthful, I did not pray or ask God to help me with this, other then my constant questioning Him, "Why can't I lose weight?" But I got a mixed-blessing in the acid reflux flare-up, when I had to chew my food. I've read that a person should chew their food enough so that you could take it and feed it to a baby. Gross, I know! But women did this for their baby many years before Gerber came along. Part of a turn-around is taking steps in one direction and then changing course and taking steps in another direction. I call this taking my baby-steps towards good health. I have changed my lifestyle. I'm not on a diet, I still eat what I've always eaten (exception sweets).

Baby, here I come!

2 comments:

Robyn Austin said...

Good for you, Rayna! One of my favorite quotes is "To get something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done." Congrats for being willing to change directions. Keep taking it one step at at time and you'll get there!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that it's going in a more positive direction. May the med's help. May you only have to be on them for a short period of time. Take care. We love you. Lene & family